Remote control of friend's phone

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
man94703

Remote control of friend's phone

Post by man94703 »

To send a command to a friend's phone (like, please turn on your GPS so I can see where you are) I currently have to log into greenalp.com with the friend's user name and pw. Is that correct? If so, I suggest enabling this feature in my own login on greenalp.com, provided my friend has authorized me to send such commands. There could be a list of authorized friends in my login and I could select the one to whom I want to send a command.

I think this has been suggested before; if so, count this as another vote in favor. And thank you for a well done app.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Remote control of friend's phone

Post by admin »

Actually there is already now a (quite uncomfortable) way to do that. First login with your username, afterwards type http://www.greenalp.com/RealTimeTracker ... etuser=xxx in to your browser's location bar (replace xxx with your friend's username).
Twocat

Post by Twocat »

I want to add another vote for this feature. In addition to "friends" create "close friends" that can turn RTT on and off via their phone app. Regarding the instructions below I am a bit confused. What does the friend do after I enter that into my browser? Will their phone app now let them turn RTT on and off on my phone? How long does this ability last? How can I shut it off?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
if your friends want to control your track then you don't have to type this URL in your browser. Instead your friends first have to login into the web portal with their username. Afterwards they can type the url above in their browser (replacing the xxx with your username). If you have granted remote command permission to them they will be able to control your tracker.
Twocat

Post by Twocat »

I went over to the permissions page and I am not sure I see how to grant a friend permission to start and stop RTT using the link you provided. I set Remote Commands to Accepted Friends Only. I also set "Friends you can see" and "Friends seeing you" to my friend. Then using the link as directed we get an error message saying that "User has not granted permission." There must be something else I need to do but I do not see what.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, there was indeed a naming conflict concerning the url. Please set "Accepted friends only" and try again the URL above (I have modified it in the mean time).