WiFi

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
mboeyken

WiFi

Post by mboeyken »

Hi,

Is it or will it be possible to acquire and send the location via Wifi?
Where I live, there are many free wifi spots and I actually never lose wifi connection in some parts of the city so that would save me a lot of mony and battery power. And even if you don't have wifi connection while you're walking outside, it would be very good because when you go inside (a café, shop, trainstation..) you often have free wifi but no good GPS signal so if you could acquire and send via wifi, the tracking would never stop and that would be very nice.

Thank you for the app!
Greets from Brussels,

Mat
admin
Site Admin

Re: WiFi

Post by admin »

Hi,
Thanks for your message. Yes it is possible to send data via Wifi. The app just needs internet connection it doesn't care if it's 3G or something different.

I 've received several postings asking for determining location via cell towers/Wifi. I'm really going to think about that but it will take time because I have very little spare time at the moment.
frelesxy

Post by frelesxy »

How to extend the wifi range from my computer? I do not understand computers and their language so please give clear simple answers. I live next to free wifi, but I am just out of range to pick it up from inside my house. Is there something I can buy that will attach to my computer to help extend the range it can connect to? There are trees between me and the signal, would that matter?
Last edited by frelesxy on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually this question has nothing to do with my tracking app and I'm not sure if I can help you because I'm no expert for WLAN. As far as I know you can buy WLAN antennas but I recommend to use 3G instead of WLAN if WLAN reception is not good. Trees will definitly weaken the signal. If you need a more detailed answer I recommend to search a WLAN forum. You will find the real experts there.