Requesting for clarification

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
aargee
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 am

Requesting for clarification

Post by aargee »

Hello All
I'm sharing my experience here & will seek out for clarification as I'm little confused as how these works. I'm a motorcyclist & prefer keeping my mobile phone (Lenovo P780 with KitKat) inside the jacket after turning ON the GPS.

RTT1/Real time GPS Tracker - Started testing this about 2 weeks ago & was completely satisfied; the only catch here is that, I need to have this app running in the foreground; any incoming calls or SMS (text) ***boom*** this app stops & my tracking also stops. This is a little inconvenient!

RTT2 - Then I found this app is a perfect solution as this helps me to track even when the app is running in background; but the catch again here is that, I'll have to keep the data connection always ON, atleast, that's what it looks like.

Problems & Seeking Suggestions...
1. I cannot have the tracker running in foreground, so my only option is RTT2, however, I cannot turn ON the data connection also all the time. What else can be done? Do we need data connection to be turned ON all the time?
2. RTT2 seems to take too long time to obtain a satellite connection compared to RTT1. Also with RTT2, I don't get to see my location unlike RTT1. Are these the case with everyone else?

Thanks in advance
RG
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3127
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by admin »

Hi,
both RTT1 and RTT2 run in background without problems. If it does not work it is a problem specific to your phone. What happens on your phone when a call arrives? Does the app crash? If data connection is disabled, both RTT1 and RTT2 will buffer all location updates and should automatically continue updating as soon as the connection works again.

Receiving the GPS signal is not a job done by the apps. RTT1 and RTT2 send an internal message to the Android system running on your phone, and actually it's your Android system itself which is determining the location. So the behaviour should be exact the same on RTT1 and RTT2. But what you should be aware, is, if your data connection is disabled it is much harder for your phone to determine your location. You will receive best results if your phone has clear view of the sky and data connection is enabled.
aargee
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 am

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by aargee »

Dear Admin, I'll reply to your questions one by one...
admin wrote:What happens on your phone when a call arrives?
I finish off the call & see that RTT1 has stopped; I no longer see the icon on the top left corner of the screen
admin wrote:Does the app crash?
Not until now
admin wrote:If data connection is disabled, both RTT1 and RTT2 will buffer all location updates and should automatically continue updating as soon as the connection works again
Can I take that that the app NEEDS data connection to be available to be working then?
admin wrote:You will receive best results if your phone has clear view of the sky and data connection is enabled.
If that is the case, then why do we need data connection? Reason to ask is because, if there's data connection, the tower takes care of receiving & sending the GPS as well isn't it? Why should the phone have a clear sky for GPS?
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3127
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by admin »

Hi,
That's really strange that RTT1 stops when a call arrives. Maybe your phone stops the service on an incoming call because of low memory. But I don't understand why only RTT1 is affected because RTT1 and RTT2 are running the same mode. As I have a different phone model I cannot analyze what is happening there.

If data connection is necessary for you, depends on your requirements. If you want your location to published in real-time without any delay, you need internet. However, if it is OK that your location is published later, when internet is enabled again, you don't need permanent internet.

The tower does not know your exact location. If you need your exact location your phone needs to receive the GPS signal from the GPS satellites. So it's good if your phone has clear view of the sky. If your phone knows at startup already the estimated location from cell tower it can process the GPS signals from satellites much faster. Therefore it is good if your data connection is enabled.
aargee
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 am

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by aargee »

Today morning I tested RTT2 with enabling data connection & then found it to be working as expected. I've sufficient memory, the phone model I have is Lenovo P780 with 4 GB RAM & 32 GB external card with 1.2 GB & 19 GB free memory in each of them respectively.

For now I believe that RTT2 works only when there's data connection & not just with GPS. I'll give a try once again in the evening without the data connection but enabling the GPS & see how it goes & keep you posted.

Thanks for your support
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3127
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by admin »

Just a hint, how it works on my phone: On my phone, it is often necessary to enable data connection to speed up GPS. As soon as the phone has retrieved the first GPS location I can disable data connection and GPS will continue to update without problems. If there is no GPS reception for a longer time (for example because I'm inside a building), I will enable data connection as soon as I'm outside again, to speed up location finding again. Afterwards I can disable data connection again.
aargee
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 am

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by aargee »

admin wrote:Just a hint, how it works on my phone: On my phone, it is often necessary to enable data connection to speed up GPS. As soon as the phone has retrieved the first GPS location I can disable data connection and GPS will continue to update without problems.
I confirm with this 100% & here's the reason why...

Last evening - I switched ON data connection & GPS, ensured the satellite connection is excellent, switched OFF data connection & then rode home. When I went home, switched OFF GPS, turned ON WiFi & hurray!! The map was saved. Everything's good

Today morning - I switched ON GPS, ensured the satellite connection is excellent & then rode to office. When I reached office, switched OFF GPS, turned on data connection & to my dismay, the map was not saved. I think to establish the first level of connection or something like that or like you say, periodically, the data connection has t o be turned ON
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3127
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by admin »

You wrote in the morning you again had excellent satellite connection, but no track on the map. But if GPS works you should have a track. When you arrived, did you check the accuracy and how many points where buffered?
aargee
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 am

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by aargee »

admin wrote:You wrote in the morning you again had excellent satellite connection, but no track on the map. But if GPS works you should have a track. When you arrived, did you check the accuracy and how many points where buffered?
Quite a surprise!! When I checked in the morning, the route was not updated, but when I'm checking now, the data is updated from both morning as well as from the evening's ride.

For the evening ride back to home, I simply switched ON the GPS without the data connection. Switched on to WiFi when I came home & voila!! the route map is updated

So I CONFIRM...just the GPS is suffice to get this working, like you said, but only thing is the data connection MAY be required, but I'm not sure when are those situations.
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3127
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Requesting for clarification

Post by admin »

Well, you need the data connection for transmitting location dato to server. But you don't need data connection permanently. The tracker will just wait until conncetion works and send all buffered location data. But of course this works only if GPS is working, and for that you might need again data connection in certain cases.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests