Stealth Mode

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
Spike1985

Stealth Mode

Post by Spike1985 »

Hello,
just wondered if a stealth mode could be implemented.
I was thinking about something like a second version with the following changes:
-Removed Icon in menu
-removed icon in status bar
-removed map view and messaging (only settings page available)
-removed auto-start option (as it always starts up automatically)
-removed "running apps" entry
-start up via number code on dialpad with password protection of settings or
-start up once after first reboot after installation to configure and then no possibility to change anything without installing/re-installing

thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stealth Mode

Post by admin »

Hi,
Thanks for your proposal. It sounds very interesting. But I think this changes mean quite big effort and some of them are not easy to implement. I'm afraid my spare time is too little to implement theses changes. So don't expect these features in near future (but never say never).
Are you sure that there don't exists free (or at least cheap) apps supporting these features? Maybe some other users know some apps supporting the features you need. Let's wait for some other user opinions.
Xcelerate

Post by Xcelerate »

Hi, I just downloaded your app and it works great!

I too am curious about a stealth mode option, but really just one change. The icon in the status bar -- is there a way to make that hidden? I ride my bike in Atlanta, and my main use for the app is in case I am in an accident or if someone robs me of my bike (which is more likely than you might think). I keep my phone in my saddle bag, so even if someone takes my bike from me, I would still be able to track its location. The only issue is the icon at the top, which might give away the fact that the phone is being tracked.

Thanks again for this great application!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Actually Android does not support starting this service without icon in the notification bar. The only way which might work is to create a workaround. But first I'm not sure if it worked and second I'm not sure if Google appreciated this workaround. I will have a look at it.
bulldozzer

Post by bulldozzer »

any word on the work around for the icon or making it more stealth
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, not so far. There are quite many tasks in my queue which I have to do first. So don't expect a solution for the near future. One reason why this issue has low priority is I still think that there are other app available in Market which are exactly designed for this issue. Maybe someone knows an appropriate app. Your postings are welcome.