App Not Updating Location

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
Twocat

App Not Updating Location

Post by Twocat »

As of late the app is not updating locations for viewers. A friend of mine and I conducted the following test. We are friends on RTT and should be able to view each other's current location on the app. My friend also sent me a web browser link that I can also use to view the location currently sent by the RTT app from her phone. The first image shows that from the web link her position as of 2 seconds ago displays on my cell phone.

The second image, taken a few seconds from when the first was, shows that her location was last updated 1 day ago and of course she is no longer there.

I have found this to be an increasing problem, the app not updating locations. Is there an obvious solution? What is the cause?
Last edited by Twocat on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: App Not Updating Location

Post by admin »

Sorry, I cannot see the screenshots. Possible that you need to grant public access for the images?

If there is a problem I would like to fix it, but first we need to find out how to reproduce. How often does this problem occur? Is it every day? Do you see any common pattern? For example, it happens always when the tracker is running for more than 5 hours, or when the phone is on standby for a certain time?
Twocat

Post by Twocat »

All I can say about the screenshots is that Google photos leaves a lot to be desired. The pictures were already in a public album. I redid the links to the screenshots and maybe that will make them visible. In any event, from what I can tell when the phone is able to connect to wi-fi it updates the app. But when it is out of wi-fi range it does not. The web link however seems to update no matter what.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If everything works with WIFI, maybe there is a problem with your data connection. Have you checked if it works? The screenshot works now. But I see that there are different usernames. You have to focus your friend on the app to check here location. I also see on the screenshot, that your phone cannot find any GPS satellite. I recommend to test again when you are outside and the phone has clear view of the sky.
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

Funnily enough I've just had the same.

My Tablet, running RTT2, was showing my friends location hadn't been updated for 2 days. I tried allsorts with no luck.

I then fired up RTT1 on my phone and there she was, updated a few seconds ago. After a few seconds more the Tablet updated.

I can only assume that RTT2 had stopped polling her location.
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

Update:

After another couple of friend update issues I've reinstalled RTT1 and the Tablet is now working AOK, as soon as the map opens my friends location is updated almost immediately and continues to do so every 30 secs as set.

With RTT2 to see something like 'updated 40 mins ago' and it just stuck there until I used RTT1 on the phone. It was giving me the impression that RTT2 on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 just wasn't updating/requesting the location.

Very odd.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Doesn't make much sense to me because both apps use more or less the same update logic. But RTT2 has more feature and maybe needs more resource. It is possible that the Samsung device blocks this app if it thinks it needs too much battery. When you start RTT2, is the location really never updated?
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

Thanks for the response.

When I had RTT2 installed (Samsung Galaxy Tab S3) I frequently opened the app to see my friends location. I would say probably a dozen times or so during the day. Every time she was still showing 'updated 2 days ago' and the location shown was accurate for 2 days ago. She is running RTT1 on a Samsung S7. We both have the update intervals set to 30/30/30/120/600 and 'GPS on viewers only'.

As I said, I then opened RTT1 on my HTC M9 and her location was updated almost immediately. I then opened RTT2 on the Tablet and within a minute it showed her accurate location but then often stalled until I opened the phone version. Over a few days trying it was often still showing her about 10 miles away as she walked through the front door.

I managed to obtain RTT1 apk, reinstalled it, and it works as expected. I did check that RTT2 was on the Android 'do not optimise' list as I know that can disable apps to save battery.

I also have my Tablet and Phone on separate email address/user ID's so there is no clash.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It would be interesting to know if your friend's device did send the location correctly, or if your RTT2 tracker couldn't receive the updates correctly. After reading your description it looks like the problem was related to your RTT2 tracker. If there is indeed a problem I'm willing to analyse and fix it, but as you are using RTT1 now we cannot reproduce the problem anymore. So my advice for the future. If this ever happens again (either on RTT1 or RTT2), you should first login to the web portal and check the map there. If both your tracker and the web portal show the same outdated location of your friend, it means the problem is on your friend's device. If the web portal shows the correct location which is up-to-date, while your tracker still shows the wrong outdated location, the problem is obviously on your tracker. In this case I could provide you a special debug version of RTT2 which produces logging output.
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

If I can add an update to this.

My Samsung Tab S3 had Android Pie thrust upon it over the weekend. This now means that I get a daily nag to update to RTT2, which I have reluctantly done.

I am now running RTT1 and RTT2.

The same situation has returned ....

RTT1 updates my friends location every 30 secs as set but RTT2 only shows my friends location once when the app is launched and then the location clock just keeps counting up until I stop and start the app.

I just don't get it :(