Truck tracking automation and great support!

Post the activities you already have used Real Time GPS Tracker for and your ideas what it could be used for.
ibsdtruck

Truck tracking automation and great support!

Post by ibsdtruck »

Hello Everyone,

We use this for constant or intermittent position fixes for our truck. Viewing is limited to just the Home/Yard and the truck (My phone). Getting to the locations and things like that are handled by other gps devices or hardware, so, this app has come in handy for answering the where are you now question.

The internal settings of this well thought out program allowed me to completely automate the entire system. I have a rooted low end Samsung SCH-m828c Straight Talk phone running Android 2.2 Froyo with a 2GB sdcard. It's fancier than my former phone, but not a powerhouse. Using Tasker and settings within RTT, the Yard/Dispatch can send me an SMS and it will start the Tracking with RTT GPS set to on, even if the Realtime Tracker app is closed. I also use the voice features of the IVONA voice set called AMY (British) to announce the sms, read the sms, and if special phrases are in the text sms, RTT can start or stop depending on the phrase.

I only bring this up because the coders at Greenalp have actually already set this up within RTT. It's in the setup of the passwords for rttstartpwd= and so on. The only thing about that is that the App has to be turned on first in order to receive the text or email and act on it. I just took it 1 step further and set up tasker to handle the app being turned on and off. Since the phone is not a powerhouse with a lot of memory, I needed some way to manage the phones shortcomings.

The settings within RTT, once you get the hang of it, are set up in such a way as to use the smallest amount of resources possible. This was a problem with another tracking app that did NOT allow you to set the intervals, backoff time and other settings, which led to a couple of really hot battery moments, and eventually, a new battery at around $45. :oops:

This has been the best app we have used by far for what we need it for, and the support was there when we needed it, too. Thank Support! :D

In conclusion: Working with the app, the web and some other supporting apps, mixed with some research and RTT support, I have a completely hands free and mind free tracking and communication system. It's almost like Star Trek!
Trucker

Re: Truck tracking automation and great support!

Post by Trucker »

I assume it only works in the cell phone range, so when you are in the back woods out of cell phone signal range that it fails?