Great program -- some feedback

Post the activities you already have used Real Time GPS Tracker for and your ideas what it could be used for.
JoeMama

Great program -- some feedback

Post by JoeMama »

First.....thanks for the great program. Wife loves tracking my cross-country trip.

Some Suggestions:
  • Sharing URL -- received email looks like SPAM. People have expressed concerns about having their address shared with this app. ALSO, email looks like an advertisement from Realtime GPS Tracker (gets lost or goes into SPAM).
  • Map interface is cluttered -- cannot see well. Would be nice if the satellite and other info could be hidden, so that the whole screen could be used as a map -- as it is on all gps devices.
  • Messages on map do not identify guest (they are all guest) -- This is a cool idea that needs just a little tweak. Would be nice if the message posting gave the guest the opportunity to put their name or initials (simple). People write notes to me, and I have to guess who it is (but I don't want them to have to register). Great idea that gets people virtually involved in my trips. lol

As I get further into my trip, I may think of other things. This was just my initial experience with it. I am giving the feedback, because I really like the program. Don't mind being a beta tester to help make this app the most popular.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Great program -- some feedback

Post by admin »

Hi JoeMama,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Sharing URL -- received email looks like SPAM. People have expressed concerns about having their address shared with this app. ALSO, email looks like an advertisement from Realtime GPS Tracker (gets lost or goes into SPAM).
Unfortunately I don't know how these spam filters work and why they think the emails were SPAM. I use Google mail to send these messages and I was hoping this service is trusted - if not there is nothing I can do about that.
Another possible reason could be the message content itself. When I added the sharing feature my basic idea was to let the user decide which text to send. Every user can edit the message in the text box just as s/he likes. So the only thing what I could do on server side is to choose a new message format (e.g. html code instead of plain text). But I'm not sure if this would have any impact on the spam filter result. It would be very nice if someone could tell me the reason why the emails are blocked. Your suggests are very welcome.

Map interface is cluttered -- cannot see well. Would be nice if the satellite and other info could be hidden, so that the whole screen could be used as a map -- as it is on all gps devices.
Hm, I will think about that - could be a nice feature to make the map bigger. But I'm not sure which comonents to remove. Removing the satellite display is not enough. If I want to increase the map height I will have to remove the Start/Stop button and the GPS button too. But these buttons make it very easy for new users to start the service - even if they are not familiar with my app.

Messages on map do not identify guest (they are all guest)
That's a nice idea and I even considered this possibility when I created this feature. Finally I skipped this feature because of possible name collisions of registered users and guests. But I think you've convinced me and I will add a text box where guests can enter their name.

Thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate very much when people post their feedback and ideas.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, now guests can enter their name when sending a message.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I spent some time analyzing the spam problem. The good news: I've adapted the message content a little bit. Hopefully mails don't look like spam anymore (at least there should be some improvements). The bad news: I think some mail servers treat the received mails as spam because they are sent by Google mail servers although the sender's address doesn't end with "gmail.com". To solve this problem I would have to setup an own email server. But this is too expensive. Maybe I will find another solution. Any suggests are welcome.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good news: Real Time GPS Tracker supports now some kind of fullscreen mode where the map covers almost whole screen. I hope you like the new feature.
Drkmemphis84

Post by Drkmemphis84 »

I have the samsung mesmerize, my wife the motorola electrify. We both got the Real Time Gps Tracker, hers works perfectly. Both our settings are exact, friends on the site and app of course. She sees me just fine, for some reason I see her in the ocean thousands of miles away, gps is on. Don't understand the issue...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
This usually means your wife has no GPS reception. So no coordinates can be sent to the server and the app will display the default coordinates (0,0) instead which is in the ocean. Check the status line of your wife's app to see if the location has been sent.