Activation via GCM instead of permanent service to save battery

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
chaoscommander

Activation via GCM instead of permanent service to save battery

Post by chaoscommander »

When I want friends to be able to track me, I need to keep the RTT background service running. It keeps my phone active (as in wakelock, I think) and causes the battery to run out faster, even without GPS being active. How about just waking the app up with a push message, e.g. via GCM, so it can stay asleep when not being watched? Messenger apps like Signal don't keep the phone from sleeping but still receive messages in real time that way.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Activation via GCM instead of permanent service to save battery

Post by admin »

Hi,
Good idea. The good news is it is already available in both the web portal and the app :-). Have a look for Remote control/Remote command.
chaoscommander

Post by chaoscommander »

I found it and it appears to work! That's a well-hidden feature. Why not make it the default for devices that are not set to record a permanent track? Also, this doesn't work for people using the guest URL, only for friends with access to my remote control, right? --Edit: I found the "who can use my remote control" setting.

Concerning battery saving, what is the difference between "no deep sleep during tracking" and "no wake lock"?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a very technical setting. It determines if the phone should be allowed to go to idle mode even during location updating (no wake load), or if the phone should be allowed to go idle only between the location updates but not during location updating (no deep during tracking). I recommend to leave the default setting. The whole setting is not that relevant anymore because since Google has introduced the Android doze mode it, Android anyway doesn't respect wake lock instructions correctly anymore.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a very technical setting. It determines if the phone should be allowed to go to idle mode even while location updating (no wake load), or if the phone should be allowed to go idle only between the location updates but not while location updating (no deep sleep during tracking). I recommend to leave the default setting. The whole setting is not that relevant anymore because since Google has introduced the Android doze mode it, Android anyway doesn't follow wake lock instructions correctly anymore.