OK, Open Maps is it - But . . .

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
Festus

OK, Open Maps is it - But . . .

Post by Festus »

First, thank you for providing this well-performing service.

Before the Google-Maps-Pay-For-It faction got their way, Google Maps (DEVELOPMENTAL USE ONLY) was an option. It wasn't the same as the former Google map option (obviously) but it worked!

And, it had TRAFFIC and MILE MARKER / Interstate exit data. Both of which are of important to me.

Based on my limited use so far, Open Street Maps has neither traffic nor mile marker/exit data. I can understand the absence of traffic data but no Interstate exit numbers? HUH? That info is static!

Isn't there a way to allow both pay and developmental Google maps options?
admin
Site Admin

Re: OK, Open Maps is it - But . . .

Post by admin »

Sorry, the development version is not an option, as it would mean a violation of the Google Maps license. Maybe you give the paid a option a try. For example you could take the smallest package € 1.20), and check how long you can use it.
ag123

Post by ag123 »

hi just some quick questions, got a new phone and pulled a copy from play store
it seemed for now it is running on google maps rather than open street maps is that right?
is there a way to switch between google maps vs open street maps?
and perhaps use an offline copy of open street maps?

google maps is 'free' (on android), but requires a credit card for now but if i read some of the announcements
https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/sheet/
google is apparently starting to charge for some of the map products / services
and it is uncertain if they would one day charge for android as well

it would be good to plan ahead for a dual option, i.e. free open street maps or paid google maps

in addition would there be any cost implications on the 'server' side? e.g. if the app is using google cloud / firebase for the location messaging etc and if it implicate costs? it would be good to share some info ahead (e.g. if google cloud messaging is after all used as the core messaging) as an abrupt change to charges may leave many of us unprepared to pay for it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Google has indeed is not free anymore if you want to use them on the website. But it is still free for the Android apps. Both the website and the app provide both OSM and Google. By default the website uses OSM (because it is free), and the app uses Google Maps. You can switch in the website to Google Maps if you want. Just have a look in the settings section of the website, but the option is of course not for free.
The app supports OSM online and offline. Just touch the map to make the map settings icon in the lower left corner visible. Click it and select "base map".
ag123

Post by ag123 »

thanks, the way to switch map in real time gps tracker is not really intuitive.
i need to tap the floating icon/button that appears on the left lower corner on the map and select "set base map" to switch map.
this is not a problem (it is quite convenient actually) but please update that in the help faq so that
new users can get some help to change the map to open street map.
include a screen print for the on-line help web page so that users know where to find the button/icon.
for now i'm using google maps as it is supported.

but i'm switching to open street maps to get myself familiar with open street maps, i'd try to use a mapforge offline map from open street map (some instructions are available on the internet just a google search away)
going forward, you may need to provide instructions to users on how to extract maps from openstreet maps and make mapforge off-line maps for themselves. the open street map on line based tiles servers may not be free for a long time either as it do costs to run those services.

one of the good things about open street maps is that it is a map edited by users (anyone can contribute map details if they are missing).
that would provide users with alternatives e.g. when google start charging for maps. for some users they may want to stick with google maps and pay a fee, others may switch to open steeet maps etc
ag123

Post by ag123 »

i managed to get mapforge offline maps working
perquisites:
1) java - at least the jre e.g. 1.8
2) get osmosis
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm ... le_version
extract osmosis into a standalone folder
3) Download the map-writer and poi-writer plugins (jar-with-dependencies
e.g. from Sonatype OSS Repository Hosting. https://oss.sonatype.org/content/reposi ... mapsforge/
e.g. mapsforge-map-writer-master-20190221.084056-267-jar-with-dependencies.jar
and mapsforge-poi-writer-master-20190221.084121-267-jar-with-dependencies.jar
4) the map-writer and poi-writer jar files needs to go into the osmosis/lib/default folder
5) get an open street map extract e.g. in pbf format
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Pla ... a_extracts
6) the instructions are here
https://github.com/mapsforge/mapsforge/ ... -Writer.md
e.g. bin/osmosis --rb file=berlin.osm.pbf --mapfile-writer file=berlin.map
that convert berlin.osb.pbf to berlin.map (mapforge format)

7) download the mapforge map into the device (preferably in internal storage create a folder - maybe call it maps, place the mapforge map file there
8) use the steps in real time gpstracker change the base map, select mapforge and select offline map, enter the folder and mapfile name
thereafter you switched to the offline map

offline maps are really useful, they work even if there is no mobile / data connectivity
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Yes, documentation is always a problem :-)

The app contains a help section how to download the mapsforge map of the country of your interest. It seems you don't want to use the prepared maps, instead you want to customize your own app. So far I have never tried this because there was no need. Obviously you are an expert user, so I thank you very much for posting your instructions and for sharing your knowledge! :-)