Map changed and says developmental

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
Yeshuanu

Map changed and says developmental

Post by Yeshuanu »

How can you make the map not be darkened and say developmental?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Map changed and says developmental

Post by admin »

Hello,
Unfortunately Google Maps cannot be used anymore for now, because Google has changed license conditions. Please use Open Street Maps and let's hope Google will change license again in the future...
jpeezy247

Post by jpeezy247 »

can we introduce a paid model for Google Maps?? that would really help for those who want to use Google Maps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, at the moment it is not possible. Does Open Street Map not work or why is it important to use Google Maps?
mnkshuttle

Post by mnkshuttle »

+1 to a paid model
take1ads

Post by take1ads »

Hello all. I like the google maps because when you zoom in you can see the houses. If you click satellite you can really literally see the houses. Why is this important? We pass out flyers and this is one app that I use. It provides a live look for the client and for me. You can see that someone went to the door of the house or if there are walking in the street or on the sidewalk. I would pay for it if they bring it back as a paid feature. Its tented and says for developers only but if you zoom in you can see the houses. So technically it still works.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, got it. Seems there is no alternative to Google :-)

What I did so far:
- I found a cool project where you can render your own Open Street Map for the whole planet. The maps look beautiful, but rendering would take around 200 days. So this is not an option :-(.
- I found a provider offering Open Street Map vector maps. They look really nice (similar to Google). The problem is they are non-free, so I don't know if they are an option in the future. Nevertheless I have switched the Greenalp server to this map, because I want to test them for one or two days. Maybe you can post some feedback here.
- Originally I wanted to kick out Google completely (although I like their maps very much), because I don't want to support their new policy and there is no easy way to provide a paid model. I cannot see which user generates how many Google Maps requests so I see no way to charge every user for the exact amount of traffic s/he has caused. Nevertheless I have decided that I will activate the free contingent for my Google Maps license (I guess this will cover only a few days), but it might be enough to learn about the number of requests registered by Google. Maybe this will help me to estimate the monthly costs with Google. So maybe in the end I can provide a paid model (still don't know if it would make sense). Let's wait and see.
take1ads

Post by take1ads »

Hello,

Would it be possible for a user to pay google maps for the use and then login and use their own google maps account with your service?

Were you able to see who, or how many people used the google maps option when you turned it on?

I dont know much but if I can help. I use your app on 8 phones. It works well, but best with google maps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I can provide a non-free solution for Google Maps now. Please have a look at the settings section in the web portal. If you have questions feel free to ask.
msfiske

Post by msfiske »

Paid the Euros, selected "Google" in the settings, but no google maps...where did I go wrong?