send frequency and track density

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
focus

send frequency and track density

Post by focus »

I think that a feature allowing the user to set how often the tracker sends data to the server depending on whether the tracker is moving or idle is very important. The same about how often it records track points: it should depend either on the speed or just on whether it is mowing or staying in/around one place.
admin
Site Admin

Re: send frequency and track density

Post by admin »

Hi,
Thanks for your input, I will think about it. That would be certainly useful in some situations.
hyteoo

Post by hyteoo »

I subscribe to this.
It would be really usefull to implement speed-dependant update rates, especially when static, it would be useless to send 100s of updates every 5s. with the same location.

Also, can the 5s update rate be decreased? If not for the free, at least for the paid tracks version?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, this certainly would make sense. Actually a similar feature request already exists. So it is possible that this feature will come in the future (but not in the close future).
hyteoo

Post by hyteoo »

Great!
How about that 5s? Is it a server thing?
If not, it would be great to have less than 5s update, my tables is installed in my car so power consumption is irrelevant.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It was planned as feature which users can purchase but so far this feature never was enabled because the location cannot be published faster than in let's say 3 seconds. I will think about if it makes sense to provide such a feature in the future. But do you really think it will be useful to have shorter intervals? GPS will always have some measuring errors anyway.
hyteoo

Post by hyteoo »

Hi

as it's just a parameter, I guess technically it should not be a problem.
So don't limit this, as the minimum limit would depend on multiple factors like hardware capabilities, GPS reception.
It would also be more like trial and error to find the minimum value.

Maybe just add a warning text label in the activity - below the selectbox saying it is not recommended to go below 5s.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I have also to take care on the server. Extremely low intervals would cause more load on the server. Moreover, try and error could be a bit dangerous for a paid feature. I guess some users could be frustrated if they pay for this feature and afterwards they realize that the map still will not update every second.
javrfrm

Post by javrfrm »

(oct_2017)
"Show your own location live on Google Maps. This way your family and friends always know where you are and that you are safe." - can they see a timeline ? For example where I am now, where I was 10 minutes ago, where I was 20 minutes ago, where I was 30 minutes ago, etc ?
Because once you move from a GPS-location (5 meters accuracy) to a WiFi-location (50 meters accuracy) or a cell-tower-location (500 meters accuracy), the app with no time-line is completelly useless.

"Important for battery saving: By default this app is configured for high frequency tracking and high accuracy, which needs quite much battery."
- is there a Setting, where I can set to share my location once every 15 minutes, once every 30 minutes, once every 60 minutes ?
javrfrm

Post by javrfrm »

Found the answer to my second question.
Still looking for "timeline".
And why the app needs access to my photos, etc.

Last edited by javrfrm on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.