Crash Detection

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
KenJones

Crash Detection

Post by KenJones »

Hello,

I was recently in a discussion about bicycle crashes and the solutions available. Right now there are a couple of solutions, but they require hardware in addition to a phone with coverage. I'm thinking a phone is all one would need to develop this. I use your tracker every time I go out, so naturally I thought you guys would be the ones to best implement this.

This is what I'm thinking:
  • When a crash is sensed, it texts one or more of your selected contacts.
  • The send information includes map link. Alerts with time of last update. Provides an area to search based on last speed and direction of movement.
  • Will turn on auto-answer and speaker phone in case crash separates you from phone and you can't reach it. You could be dazed enough to not know the phone is ringing, where it is, or able to answer. The caller can hear what's going on and then, if warranted, call the authorities.
  • The phone goes into local locate mode with an obviously man-made chirp/siren/ping to help rescuers locate the phone and, hopefully, you're nearby.
A crash can be detected by:
  • Learning phone origination within the first few (selectable) minutes of the tracking so each trip the phone can be carried differently.
  • Learns a "rhythm" in the learn time like "the phone moves this much and doesn't go over this number of Gs"
  • Learns a speed and how often the user stops.
  • After the learning time has passed any major change in phone orientation, a major G force load, and/or stopped for a time sets off the alarm.
  • Different triggers sets the alarm off after different wait times. A major G-force hit and change in orientation would set it off immediately while simply stopped would be longer.
  • It allows you to cancel the alert within a set time so it doesn't send anything out. If you don't cancel in time, but it 's a false alert, you can send "Opps, I'm sorry, but I'm okay." alert which is hidden behind a simple "slide this and now slide that" mechanism so you don't accidentally send "I'm okay" when really you're not.
Think this would be a natural extension of your great tracking app!

Thoughts?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Crash Detection

Post by admin »

Hi,
Thanks for your detailled description. It's really a good idea, but unfortunately at the moment I see no possibility to add such a feature, because I think it would still be very complex to detect a crash without false positives. Moreover it would need more resources (time) than available at the moment.