Issues with SMS Tracking and Geo Fence

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
sniper2@rva

Issues with SMS Tracking and Geo Fence

Post by sniper2@rva »

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please advise:
I have purchased two trackers; however, after paying for the geo-fence, and messaging, on the first tracker I still do not get the described results. No text alerts when the tracker leaves the desinated area I selected and no text message feedback when I attempt to get non internet coordinates. I copy and pasted the command (from the help section) to track the device when the internet connection is not available. I have not received any coordinates. So, I paid for the same service on the second device in case they were somehow linked and once again no luck. Why, what is going on? :?: :?:

Also, one tracker is located 10 miles away and the other next to me. Both trackers say they are active and reading coordinates from only seconds ago. BUT, both trackers say they are next to me which they are clearly not. Why? :?: :?:

Thanks,
J
admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues with SMS Tracking and Geo Fence

Post by admin »

Hi,
It seems you have not entered the correct username of the tracked user in your Geo Fence config. Can you please re-check your configuration?

SMS remote commands work only if the sms password is correct? Have you verified that. Please note that enabling the internet connection only works if the tracked device runs Android 4.x or lower. From Android 5 or higher Google has deactivated this feature. The tracker cannot enable internet connection on Android 5 phones.

At the moment both tracked devices report high accuracy. Is the location correct now?
sniper2@rva

Post by sniper2@rva »

Thanka for the response. I have corrected the username for the geo fence so hopefully I'll see results.

The sms password, is that under the settings option? I believe it is set up correctly but perhaps not given all my current issues. That said, will sms commands work on my note 4 edge or do I need to buy another phone with android 4 or lower? Currently, all 4 of my current mobile devices run higher than the 4 you mentioned.

Though my trackers show high accuracy, no they r not both showing the correct location. One is still about 15 miles off...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Concerning the SMS maybe I misunderstood your request. Would you just like to receive the location via SMS? This should work fine also with Android 5. If it does not work I can have a look at this. Please send the username of the person you would like to track. Please send also the sms command you have sent to that person.

If the accuracy is high I have no explanation why the location is 15 miles off? Have you checked the send time and if the location is up-to-date at time fo viewing?
sniper2@rva

Post by sniper2@rva »

Thanks for your response and patience.

Actually, I'm having issues all around. As far as the Geo Fencing I set up, thanks to you mentioning the typo error on my behalf, I did receive a text message today. Unfortunately, the text was at midnight and stated at 6 am today the tracker left the geo fence location I selected. This is the tracker at my office 15 miles out. I went to the office and it had not moved. I also have not receive a text stating it has returned inside the geo fencing area I selected.

I will PM the requested info thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
do your device connect via WIFI or 3G/4G data connection? If you use wifi it might cause the delay and other problems because many phones disable wifi when they are in idle state to save battery.
sniper2@rva

Post by sniper2@rva »

Hello,
WIFI while at home, 4G on the road. In both cases, after about 100 feet distance the tracker switches to my phones location by default. Am I understanding the following correctly: If I'm 100 ft away from the tracker, the tracker can no longer be tracked?

Today, I had an employee quit after discovering he was taking cash under the table. He has my equipment. Can I find out his location or do I actually have to be within 100 feet of him (basically already seeing him) for the tracker to tell me his location? I'm hoping this isnt the case for a GPS tracker but I'm running out of time and patience here...

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the problems with the employee. The tracker should work everywhere, it just needs GPS and a working data connection. So it is no problem if your are not close to the tracker. But you should be aware that if the employee has uninstalled the app you cannot locate the phone anymore.
So you have two options:
1.) Login to the web portal and send a remote command.
2.) If you have set sms keyword and allow auto-reply: send a sms remote command. For example, if "track123" is your sms password, try

Code: Select all

rttpwd=track123 rttcmd=tracksms
If this does not work, try:

Code: Select all

rttpwd=track123 rttcmd=tracksms lastknown
. Of course this won't work if the tracker has been uninstalled.

Concerning the wrong locations: I had again a look at your map and I can see two icon for both there is even a track displayed which exactly follows the roads. Are you sure that the locations are wrong? To me it looks correct. If the locations are wrong could you please check the app screen on your phone? As you know there is also a map displayed. It the displayed location the same there? What is the reported accuracy?
sniper2@rva

Post by sniper2@rva »

Hi,
Does the GPS and a working data connection you mention mean that the employee or whomever has stolen my equipment must download this app? I have tried the commands many times without success over the past several days.

Now, both trackers are 10 plus miles off on my laptop. This is crazy. The missing equipment that has the tracker is showing it is located with me, so it's showing my phones location not the tracker. No, the tracker is not with me but was attached to the side of the equipment by me days ago. Now, the tracker that I have with me, is showing a location that I was at a day ago.

The accuracy shows 9 m for the tracker on the missing equipment and 11 m on the location i was at a day ago. The battery level was at 18% a day back on the missing equipment, now at 32%. I'm beginning to think I have made an expensive mistake with these trackers being that both are 10 plus miles off. 10 feet would be a higher than desirable distance; however, 10 miles is out of control.

On my Note 4, the missing equipment tracker accuracy is excellent, battery now 32%, and reads from 2 days back with my current location at my house which it hasnt been here in far more than 2 days.

Tracker 2 reads at my mailbox (25 feet away as it's next to me as i type), so not 10 miles away as displayed on my laptop, accuracy excellent, time 0 seconds.
sniper2@rva

Post by sniper2@rva »

Also, to clarify, I'm not attempting to track a cell phone but a $5,500 generator. If it was a missing phone, I'd simply use one of the many free apps that track smart phones within a few inches/feet of accuracy. I mention this bc I noticed you mentioned tracking a phone in your response.

Thanks,
J