Announcing new app: RTT2

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
happyplanet

Re: Announcing new app: RTT2

Post by happyplanet »

admin wrote:
Oh yes, one more thing. I ALSO have the "GPS on viewers only" setting checked. Is it possible that this setting overrides the "Switch on GPS automatically" preventing it to turn on when I launch the app? If so, is this what you want? I would think the priority should be reversed and the GPS should start automatically if that box is checked no matter what the viewers only option says. It seems more logical. Thanks.
In my opinion the behavior is correct. The service starts up and disables GPS because there is no viewer (this is exactly what "GPS on viewers only" means. As soon there is a viewer GPS will be enabled. As soon as the user has left GPS will be disabled again. This option is for users who want to save battery and don't need GPS all the time.
Thanks for your perspective, but that really doesn't make sense to me. If I have asked the app to launch with GPS on, doesn't it seem that I want it on when I launch the app, irregardless if there's a viewer or not? Turning it on just to turn it off if there's nobody watching me just doesn't make sense. Furthermore, if I touch the icon on the map to center the map on my position, wouldn't it be logical if GPS were off that it should automatically turn on to give me the best location data? At least it should turn on for one location transmission and then turn off again. I can see now where you're getting some poor reviews by app users thinking the accuracy is way off.

Here's the way I look at it. I am a viewer when I launch the app as well as anyone else viewing me. So, if I'm viewing myself in my own app, it should automatically turn GPS on. When I leave the app, I leave viewing myself, and its fine for the GPS to turn off, unless someone else is viewing me, of course.

Would it be possible to simply make me a viewer of my own app? That would solve everything, I think.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If I have asked the app to launch with GPS on, doesn't it seem that I want it on when I launch the app, irregardless if there's a viewer or not?
Correct, and this is exactly what the app does in default mode. On service startup it will activate GPS automatically. It doesn't matter if there are viewers or not.

However: If you also check the option "GPS on viewers only" you are telling the app that you want to launch it with GPS initially on, but at the same time you are telling the app that you don't want GPS if there are no viewers. So in this case the app will only keep GPS enabled while there are viewers.

Maybe I should try to merge these two settings into one single item and replace the two check boxes with a drop down box to avoid confusion.

Furthermore, if I touch the icon on the map to center the map on my position, wouldn't it be logical if GPS were off that it should automatically turn on to give me the best location data? At least it should turn on for one location transmission and then turn off again.
Maybe some users would like this idea but I'm sure that there are also users who don't agree because they maybe have accurate network location because there WIFI is turned on. So they don't need GPS. But I will think about your suggest to make you a viewer. This could make sense.
happyplanet

Post by happyplanet »

Thanks again Florian for all your hard work on this powerful app. For those of us using it regularly, it has really added peace of mind and a new level of connection. It’s also made me safer on the road as more and more of the improvements are enhancing access with just a glance and a touch rather than extended menu searching.

I know I’ve been hitting you with a lot, and I hope I’m a developer’s joy rather than nightmare. Anyway, I just wanted to summarize our discussion points for easy reference for both of us (and others if they are interested). Some of the things I’m hoping you’re contemplating doing in the near future:

1. Adding “Send a Message” to the menu that appears when you long press on your OWN position pin (and implementing the loop test capability of sending a message to yourself and having it read out loud if that option is active).

2. Adding yourself as a “friend” to the left menu area with all the menu selections offered for friends, including Send a Message, Send to External app, etc.

3. Making it easier to understand and to toggle GPS on/off within the app through possibly making yourself a “viewer” and/or merging the Expert settings “Switch on GPS automatically” and “GPS on viewers only” in a way that allows for an option to select on or off for GPS irregardless of the GPS on viewers only setting.

4. Enhancing the app with StreetView either by both adding it as an option to the menus that pop up when you touch and hold a position pin on the map, and adding it to the menu when you touch a name on the left banner. The implementation would either be internal to the app (calling up the full page Street View directly where the back button on the phone returns you to where you were, or the menu item would act like the “Send to external app” option and port the user directly to Google Maps StreetView page or to the GMaps “StreetView” app directly (user would need to install Google Maps for this to work). See the app "StreetView List Free" for an example of this approach.

5. Making the “Map size” settings selection permanent between launches of the app so it doesn’t always open in “Normal” view. POSSIBLE ENHANCEMENT: In ADDITION to the permanent selection capability, it would be great to be able to touch the middle white area of the top banner and automatically toggle between the three map size views, especially while driving for a quick look at the data banner.

Short summary:

1. Send a Message to yourself

2. Yourself as “Friend”

3. Yourself as “Viewer” / GPS on/off selection clarification

4. StreetView option

5. Permanent Map Size / Top toggle button

Thanks again for considering these!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, nice to have an overview. I don't know if a I will support all of them but at least a few. One of those has been released today :-)
happyplanet

Post by happyplanet »

admin wrote:Thanks, nice to have an overview. I don't know if a I will support all of them but at least a few. One of those has been released today :-)
It works! Thanks! Of all the ideas, actually having the Map size permanently set to Maximum would be the one I would wish for the most. Now I can really use two maps on my S4 and not feel cramped. You made my day!
jh1354

Post by jh1354 »

Hi,
Just wanted to say I like how it saves the last screen now...Thanks :lol:
shrug

Post by shrug »

I'm not seeing the bugs others reported.

I have sent a few test messages to RTT2 friends and to the web view page.

I am riding 2,300 miles to meet friends at a motorcycle event in Maine, USA. Would be nice to be able to track more than 5 friends.

I really enjoy the app and have turned several friends on to it.

Thanks!

Shrug
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Users can buy additional friend slots. I guess this feature is mostly used by business users but of course private users can purchase too if they need more slots. If you think the available packages are not suitable for private users you can of course post your suggests here. Maybe I will create some new packages in the next months.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Although it has nothing to do with RTT2, the new feature "Track and Trace" is available in the web portal (beta version). This feature acutally targets business users but maybe it's interesting for private users too. Forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=991
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just want to thank for the high activity in the translation portal. Languages Swedish, Portuguese, and Italian are complete now. Translators of those languages: if you are interested in free extra features (ad-free, Track-Loading), please contact me.