SMS Removal?

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
SteveW

SMS Removal?

Post by SteveW »

RTT wants to update in Google Play, but the new features piece says that Google is forcing you to remove the SMS capability from the app, and that if you still want that, you can download the full version from the GreenAlp server?

I see no mention of any of this on the forums or on the GreenAlp server home page. Can someone elaborate on this before I tell Google Play to update RTT?
admin
Site Admin

Re: SMS Removal?

Post by admin »

Hi,
Sorry, for the late reply. Indeed apps provided in Play Store are not allowed anymore to send or receive SMS anymore. Only the default SMS app is allowed to do that (and some specific apps e.g. from banks which need SMS for transaction confirmation).

This forced me to implement following changes:
- The app provided in the Play Store cannot send SMS directly anymore. Instead it will open your default SMS app prefilled with the appropriate content. You need to select recipients there and click the Send-button.
- The app provided in the Play Store cannot send receive SMS anymore. This means you cannot send SMS remote commands to trackers installed via PlayStore anymore. Remote Commands as push message will still work. The special feature where one could send a SMS and the app would automatically send back a SMS containing the current location will not work anymore.
- Users needing the full functionality can download the original app from the Greenalp website. The version provided on the website still can send and receive SMS, so all features will work there as usual.

Please note if you have installed the version from website, I cannot rule out that Play Store will overwrite this version again as soon as a newer version is provided there. If want to be sure that this doesn't happen you should disable auto-updating for RTT2 in Google Play Store.
tbo

Post by tbo »

There are no full version download visible on the website??
tbo

Post by tbo »

Unable to find any full version download on the website? Where is it?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Doesn't the link in the app work? What does your browser display? You can download from here: https://www.greenalp.com/downloads/rtt2 ... urrent.apk