Problems on android 8

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
Esteban

Problems on android 8

Post by Esteban »

Hi dears,
first of all, I am a real time GPS user since years and I love it! Many thanks for the great app.

However I received a new mobile (Nokia 5.1) with the newest android 8.1. Now, unfortunately the app is not working properly anymore.

I’m using it when I am at work or on the way with my dog to make it easy for my wife to see when I will be back home. In the past, this worked perfectly.

Now, the application is stopping totally or claims that there is no GPS signal anymore. This always happens after about 30 to 40 minutes when the mobile is in my pocket, this I’m not touching or using it.

I believe that as this has something to do with the new doze mode of android 8, and I tried to change the settings, but without success.

Do you have any ideas or hints for me how to solve that?

It would be great if you can help me.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards from Germany
Esteban
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems on android 8

Post by admin »

Hi,
I'm afraid you are right, on my phone there is the same effect with doze mode if I don't touch the phone for one or two hours. The bad news is that as far as I know you can't prevent doze mode by configuration. The only you could do is to use the phone from time to time (Example: if you switch on screen every 30 minutes doze mode should not start).
If you connect the phone to a charger it should work too because doze mode is disabled when the phone doesn't consume battery.
Esteban

Post by Esteban »

Too bad. Are there any possibilities to solve that in an update? Problem must be the same for several further apps like Runtastic or WhatsApp-Live tracking too?!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I invested quite much time and didn't find a solution so far. My hope is, that Google will offer a possibility to switch off doze mode. The problem, is that RTT2 needs the exact GPS position, whereas WhatsApp might need only the network location which doesn't require GPS. I have no idea, if apps like Runtastic would be able to record an exact track, when the phone is idle and stationary for two hours. If you are a Runtastic user you could test it :-)