App Not Working After Android 8.0 Update

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
GarryJoshi

App Not Working After Android 8.0 Update

Post by GarryJoshi »

I have been using the Real-Time GPS Tracker app for a while now. It was working just fine when my Note 8 earlier was running Android Nougat. Today that I updated to Android Oreo whenever I am trying to open the app it only loads a blank screen on it's start up and crashes after a while. How do I fix it??

Quick update: After uninstallation and reinstallation the app is working just fine again :)
Last edited by GarryJoshi on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: App Not Working After Android 8.0 Update

Post by admin »

Hi,
Can you send me your username? Can you please also check if you can start the tracker remotely from web portal? If the service starts up, please check if you can open the map screen in the app.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That might have to do with the doze mode feature of your phone. If you phone is in standby mode (screen off), it tries to save energy by disabling some resources as for example GPS. Which phone model do you use?
sfrederik

Post by sfrederik »

Hi, my smartphone is a Samsung a3 2017. After the recent upgrade to Android 8.0, it seems I have a GPS update problem. I put rtt 2 on the no doze list. But as soon as the screen went dark for saving energy yesterday, the tracker only sends network location. I looked up, that the app needs a foreground service. Does it have one, even it is running in the background?
Please see here:
https://developer.android.com/about/ver ... ion-limits

If any more details are needed, I will try to provide them. I like the app very much.
Would be a shame, to not be able to use the app anymore.

Yours Frederik
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Frederik,
The service is already a foregroundserHello Frederik,
The service is already a foreground service, so there is nothing what I could change. Doze mode is indeed a problem for many apps. You might be able to add an exception for the app, but in doze mode some phones disable the GPS globally, and it seems this is what your phone does too.

You could test if it is working when you connect the phone to a charger because while charging doze mode usually is disabled.

I found some hints from another developer which might be useful. Please have a look here: https://sleep.urbandroid.org/documentat ... ung-galaxy
sfrederik

Post by sfrederik »

Sorry for answering so late, I had no time to check it out earlier. Half of the tricks I had already applied. I now have addiotinally activated the option, to not optimize accu on the app. Looking forward to testing it on Sunday. I will report. The Idead with a power bank is also an option, I could keep the screen active (developer options). Thank You so far.

Yours Frederik